Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Bragging about my Weakness?

It has been quite a while since I wrote a blog, but this morning as I was having my quiet time, I felt God continually speak things over again to me that I really want to share. Yesterday, I read the following scripture:

"But he said to me, 'My grace is enough for you. When you are weak, my power is made perfect in you.' So I am very happy to brag about my weaknesses. Then Christ's power can live in me. For this reason I am happy when I have weaknesses, insults, hard times, sufferings, and all kinds of troubles for Christ. Because when I am weak, then I am truly strong." 2 Cor 12: 9-10


Bragging about my weaknesses? Happy when I'm insulted? Happy about hard times & sufferings? And really...ALL KINDS OF TROUBLES? Goodness...that doesn't seem possible and it certainly doesn't seem fun. 

Over the last 2 years of my life, I have asked God a lot of questions.  The main question is, "Why?" Looking back, I can see some different reasons God allowed what He did and to be honest, I still really don't understand a lot of it and probably never will this side of Heaven.  The more I study His word, and the more I go through trials, the closer I am drawn to Him.  Maybe that's why Paul says what he says in 2 Corinthians? I believe so.  

I text my sister in law, Heather,  one day in the midst of several trials that were going on in our family and asked her if she ever wonders why there is ALWAYS something going on.   "Never a dull moment" is what I believe I said.  Her response hit me like a load of bricks.  She said, " All I know is there must be a lot of glory at stake."  Wow...a lot of His glory at stake based on how I respond to a trial, troubles, insults, weakness...trips to the hospital, sick family members, bills, physical pain....the list could go on and on and on...Could you make a list?  Will I choose to lay down in my pit of sorrow and pain or rise up and give Him glory?

I am having some physical problems, and one night this week, I completely had a pity party for myself (I should have sent out invitations, right?).  I asked God why I was having to deal with this, and what had I done to deserve the physical pain I was experiencing...I felt so bad, helpless, & empty. Ann Voskamp says, "In the emptiness we have the opportunity to turn to God" (1000 Gifts). God was certainly getting my attention.

Boy did He wake me up even more the next morning while I was reading the Bible.  That's when I read the scripture above from 2 Corinthians...HIS power is made perfect in weakness...and that's exactly what I was... weak.  My problem is that I want MY power to show and MY abilities to be known...Friends, that's not why we are here. But isn't that what most of us want?  We want the glory.  Let's just be honest...our sinful nature wants US to be in the spotlight.  BUT...everything we do, say, feel, type, text, pray...all of it should be for His glory alone.   I AM GUILTY OF NOT DOING THAT-I will be the first to admit it!!!

God did not put us on earth for our happiness.  He never promised it would be easy, and He certainly never promised us we wouldn't have troubles or pain.  I have found myself asking, "Can't we please just have a break?  My family has had enough for now. Thanks, God!"  However, having that attitude will do me no good. I'm missing the whole point if that's the attitude I'm going to have....GLORY...AT...STAKE...I have to remember this.


Who am I to ask God to rescue me from my troubles? Job, who we all know had his fair share of troubles (and then some), says, "Should we take only good things from God and not trouble?" (Job 2:10)  The bottom line is this-we are BLESSED. Blessed with good stuff...Blessed in the troubled times. For it is through the troubles that God molds us into what He wants us to be. We should live in endless thanksgiving for His grace.


One last quote from Ann Voskamp (my favorite author by the way):
"While I may not always feel joy, God asks me to give thanks in all things, because He knows that the feeling of joy begins in the action of thanksgiving" (One Thousand Gifts).





"Everything comes from him;
   Everything happens through him;
   Everything ends up in him.
   Always glory! Always praise!
      Yes. Yes. Yes." 
Romans 11:36 (The Message)


No comments:

Post a Comment