Thursday, June 16, 2011

"What are you looking at??"

 Hey Friends!

I have been meaning to blog all week, but there have been a few unexpected things come up, and I just haven't had time to sit down and do it.  God woke me up early this morning, and as I had my quiet time, He gave me some words that I'd like to share with ya'll.


Tuesday night, I went to a ladies' fellowship with some church friends, and our interim pastor's wife shared a devotion with us entitled, "Look Up".  Her words (which were clearly God's words) were so timely for me.  My family continues to face trials and unexpected events, but God remains faithful. I have to admit that when I went to the fellowship I was very discouraged and tired. It's amazing how being with fun, loving friends allows us to let go of some of the worries we are facing-even if for a moment. 

During the devotion, God made me aware of the fact that I wasn't focused on Him.  I was focused on how I could settle everything down, how I could "fix" the problems I was facing, how I could organize it all and many other things.  Mrs. Caldwell (the lady who did our devotion) kept saying,
"Look Up"
  God spoke to me and I realized that I was looking everywhere but up...and for those few moments that I was looking up, I was questioning Him, and telling him how unfair life is. And although, God wants to hear the depths of our heart, I wasn't looking to Him for guidance. I was simply going to Him to complain and whine-I wasn't looking to Him in trust.  I wasn't claiming His promises. She shared numerous bible verses that were filled with God's promises.

These are just a couple that spoke to me:

 "I look up to the hills, but where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, who  made heave and earth." Psalm 121:1-2

"Give all your worries to Him, because He cares for you."
1 Peter 5:7 




So, I guess my challenge to you is "What are you looking at?"  I was made aware of a list of things that I was looking at Tuesday night-and Christ wasn't on that list. He has promised us to never leave us or forsake us (Hebrews 13:5)...I'm so thankful for that promise.  Isn't it amazing that even though we may lose our focus, He never leaves our side?

Even though we face trial after trial, He is faithful. 2 Peter 1:4 says, "Through these He gave us the very great and precious promises." 
 
I know I have mentioned it a previous blog, but I am reading 1000 Gifts by Ann Voskamp, and the overall challenge of the book is to list 1000 gifts.  The Lord has really been dealing with me about my thankfulness. So, as we face these trials-and we know they're coming because His Word tells us they will, couldn't we make a list of our gifts?  When Satan attacks (and he will!), can't we name God's promises? Can't we list our gifts? That is what I've been trying to do...try it-you'll be amazed at the things God has given you..I sure have been.  It's just a matter of being constantly aware of the things surrounding us that are gifts from God. 

Friend, we have to trust Him...and His promises.  Look to Him.

"Let us hold firmly to the hope that we have confessed, because we can trust God to do what He promised." Hebrews 10:23

I have posted a youtube video of a song that has really spoken to me this week. I hope that it does the same for you.

"The Lord helps the fallen and lifts those bent beneath their loads."
Psalm 145:14

No comments:

Post a Comment