Monday, June 6, 2011

What if...

 I know many of you have heard Laura Story's song, "Blessings" but I just had to share it on this blog because it has spoken to me in so many ways.  It is exactly what God has spoken over me for the last few months.

Our family has been through many trials recently, but God has constantly reminded me that He has a purpose in our pain.  It is through this pain and suffering that He has taught me many lessons and has grown me in multiple ways. My prayer life will never be the same.

Over the past two years, I have learned so much about life.  Maybe it's because I'm getting older,or maybe it's because I'm paying closer attention...I'm not sure. Whatever the reason, the Lord has taken my family (the Bollings and the Reeds) through some pretty tough trials.  We were faced with the decision of trusting Him and allowing Him to do His will or not trusting Him and constantly worrying and questioning Him.  I can't tell you that I didn't have my questions, and honestly, I still do.  I have wondered, "How many trials can you take us through at one time, God?"  I have even made the statement to my sister-in-law (via text) that "It's always something!"  She reminded me that it's through our suffering that we learn to pray.  How true that statement is. I came across this quote while studying,  "The greatest opportunity to glorify God is when you are walking through the fires of affliction and trials" - Bob O'Bannon  I had to ask myself, "Do I glorify God or do I whine about what I'm going through and beg for sympathy from others?"

Romans 8:28 tells us, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." We may not see it at the moment, but He is working EVERYTHING for our good.

I challenge you to look at the circumstance you are in right now and try to find how God is working it for your good.  There may be things that we never know why they happen while we are on this earth, but be assured that He is faithful to complete His work in us.  One of my favorite pastors in the world said, "You're either in a trial, coming out of a trial, or about to go through a trial." So, we must stay ready!

The lyrics for "Blessings" are below.  I have added some  pictures of times of trial that I KNOW without a doubt that God was showing us His mercy even in our suffering.  

We pray for blessings
We pray for peace
Comfort for family, protection while we sleep
We pray for healing, for prosperity
We pray for Your mighty hand to ease our suffering

All the while, You hear each spoken need
Yet love us way too much to give us lesser things



Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears


What if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You’re near

 
What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise


We pray for wisdom

Your voice to hear
And we cry in anger when we cannot feel You near

We doubt Your goodness, we doubt Your love
As if every promise from Your Word is not enough

All the while, You hear each desperate plea
And long that we'd have faith to believe

Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops

What if Your healing comes through tears

What if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You’re near
And what if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise


When friends betray us

When darkness seems to win
We know the pain reminds this heart
That this is not, this is not our home


Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
And what if a thousand sleepless nights
Are what it takes to know You’re near

What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy

And what if trials of this life
The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
Are Your mercies in disguise
-Laura Story ("Blessings")

4 comments:

  1. "What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise....." I started thinking about this phrase and what the definition of mercy is. Mercy is when God does NOT give me what I DO deserve. So if my trials are God's mercies, then the trials I have are not what I deserve, I deserve so much worse!! This alone would make me want to actually thank God for my trials, not thanking Him for what I am going through but thanking Him that I am not going through what I deserve. JUST A THOUGHT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana, you don't know how I needed to read this right now...thank you, thank you, thank you....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my favorite song!! I love to sing it loud in my car when it comes on!! I am so proud of you! When I read this blog I just get all swelled up inside knowing that God is working in your life to help me make my life stronger for him! Thanks so much for being the example to me and others. I love you so much! You are a great mommy of two boys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess what is playing on KLOVE as I type this.... "BLESSINGS"!!! Dana, thank you so much for sharing and reminding us how God is with us in each and every journey. Looking back, the trails is definitely where I have felt him the closest and where I have grown the most! Thanks for reminding me of this and thanks for sharing your blog with us. Keep it up! Lynette Henderson

    ReplyDelete